Criminal rehabilitation

Criminal rehabilitation is a process, much like a “pardon”, by which you can overcome your inadmissibility to Canada permanently. It is available to those individuals who have a criminal record in the US or another country and who wish to be able to travel to Canada without any issues at the border.

Free case consultation

Call us

Criminal rehabilitation

Email us


Once your application is approved, you will be able to visit Canada as would any other individual who has never had any criminal record, as long as no new offense is committed.

Who can apply for criminal rehabilitation?

A US citizen, resident, and citizens of other countries can apply for criminal rehabilitation once five (5) years have passed from the moment when they have completed all required conditions of their sentence. This includes the completion of the probation period and restoration of their driving privileges for example. If five years have not yet passed from the moment of successful completion of the ordered conditions, you can still apply for a TRP while awaiting to become eligible for criminal rehabilitation.

What documents will I need to provide when applying for criminal rehabilitation?

Among other documents pertaining to your offenses, an application for criminal rehabilitation requires that you to provide a complete criminal background history including an FBI police certificate, as well as the state police certificates from each state where you have lived for a period of at least six (6) months or more since the age of 18, and also from any state where an offense was committed. A complete list of required documents can be found by searching for form IMM 5507, available on the government of Canada website (www.canada.ca).

How can I prove to Canada that I have been rehabilitated?

Although each case is individual, the Canadian government will look to determine whether you pose a safety risk to the Canadian public. You will therefore need to demonstrate that you are not likely to repeat the offense(s) that you have on your record and show that you have learned from your mistakes and have become a contributing member of your community and society as a whole. This can be demonstrated by your community involvement such as charity work, letters of support from your superiors or from those who know you best, or from community leaders, and by demonstrating stability in your current lifestyle.

To start the application process for criminal rehabilitation today, please call our KLM Immigration law attorneys at 1-888-603-3003 for your free consultation. We specialize in criminal rehabilitation applications for US citizens and residents.

DUI & Criminality


Entering Canada with a DUI

Having even one DUI on record can prevent you from being allowed to enter Canada.

Learn more

Temporary resident permit

A Temporary Resident Permit, also referred to as a TRP is a temporary solution to overcoming one’s inadmissibility to Canada.

Learn more

Legal opinion letter

There are three situations when a person is deemed rehabilitated and where a Canadian immigration attorney’s Legal Opinion letter can replace the necessity to obtain a temporary resident permit (TRP).

Learn more

Canadian record suspension & pardon

A Canadian record suspension or pardon is a process by which a Canadian citizen or a foreign nation who has committed an offense in Canada, may ask the Canadian government to pardon his crime.

Learn more

US entry waiver

A Canadian citizen or a citizen of another country who does not require a Visa to travel to the US and who has a criminal record must first apply for and obtain a US Entry Waiver prior to traveling to the United States.

Learn more

Inquire now

Get the right legal help if you’re inadmissible to Canada