When you have a DUI, entering Canada can be complicated, and a border agent might turn you away. Any impaired driving offense could make you criminally inadmissible to enter the country. Let’s look at how you can get permission to enter Canada with a DUI and overcome this situation.

Why can I not enter Canada with a DUI?

Canadian criminal and immigration laws do not allow visitors to enter if they have a criminal record. Even if you committed a minor offense in the United States, you could be denied entry if it is a criminal offense under Canadian criminal laws and which can be found in the Canadian Criminal Code. In Canada, a DUI is a serious criminal offense. Below are two options that can help you gain entry into Canada even if you have a DUI:

Temporary resident permit (TRP)

Applying for a TRP could grant you to temporary, multiple-entry access into Canada. This permit can be granted for a maximum of three years. However, you can also re-apply for a new TRP more than once and upon expiration.

Criminal Rehabilitation

Criminal rehabilitation is a permanent solution that will make you eligible to enter the country even if you have been convicted of a DUI. The application process takes about 6-12 months to be approved, and once approved, you will be able to enter Canada without restrictions.

Get legal advice to learn how to get permission to enter Canada with a DUI

It is not recommended to try to enter Canada with a DUI without speaking to a legal professional. To explore the options available for your situation, call one of our attorneys today for a free consultation at 1-888-603-3003.