Specialty Visas

There are a variety of other visas which would allow individuals in particular circumstances or with a specific set of qualifications or country of origin to enter the US in order to work and live. These include the following:

The E-3 Professional Worker Visa (Australia)

An E-3 Visa is a specialty visa available to professional workers exclusively from Australia. If you meet the following criteria, you may qualify for the E-3 visa:

  • You are a national of Australia;
  • You have an offer of employment in the US;
  • You possess the necessary academic and qualifying credentials;
  • You will fill a position that qualifies as a speciality occupation.

If you qualify, you will need to submit Form I-129 Petition, along with all of the required documentation. Once approved, the E-2 visa is usually granted for a period of 2 years, and upon expiration can be extended for an additional 2 years.

The O-1, extraordinary ability Visa

The O-1 visa permits individuals who possess an extraordinary ability in a field such as athletics, entertainment, arts and science to come and work in the US. The O-1 visa is also available to those who wish to partake in a cultural exchange, religious work those who demonstrate having an extraordinary ability. The applicant will have to demonstrate that he holds national or international acclamation for the work achieved in his field of expertise. This would also include individuals providing essential services in support of the above individual such as a backup dancer to a singer for example.

What are the main characteristics of an O-1 Visa?

  • The applicant may only work for his O-1 visa sponsor, and would require a new visa if he wished to work for another employer;
  • The O-1 visa can be granted for a maximum duration of 3 years and can be extended indefinitely in one-year increments;
  • Your dependants, such as a spouse and any children under the age of 21, may also travel in and out of the US with you and remain in the US as long as your visa is valid. However, they may not work in the US under your O-1 visa and would need to apply on their own merits for a qualifying visa which meets their needs.

The P-1, Athletes and Entertainers Visa

The P-1 visa is available to entertainers and athletes who would like to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete or at a performance as a member of an entertainment group. In order to be eligible, you would need to demonstrate that you have an internationally recognized level of sustained performance in your particular field. This visa is also available to those who provide essential services in support of the athlete or entertainer applicant. The spouse and children under the age of 21 can also travel to the US with the P-1 visa holder and remain in the US as lomg as the visa is valid.

How long is the P-1 Visa granted for?

The P-1 visa is usually granted depending on the duration of the competition or performance to be executed and up to 5 years. Upon expiry the P-1 visa can be extended for up to an additional 10 years.

What is a P-2 Visa?

If you are an artist or entertainer and would like to enter the US for a performance under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the US and an organization in your home country, you may apply for a P-2 visa. This visa would be available for those who provide essential services in support of the main applicant for the P-2 visa.

What is a P-3 Visa?

A P-3 visa is available to individuals who wish to enter the US in order to perform, coach or teach under a program that is culturally unique or ethnically traditional, such as a folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation. This visa would also be available for individuals providing essential services in support of the main applicant for the P-3 visa.

The Q-1, Participant in an International Cultural Exchange Visa

The Q-1 visa is granted to individuals requiring practical training and employment of cultural nature. Individuals are invited to participate in an international cultural exchange and share their cultural, historical, and traditional knowledge of their country of origin.

The R-1, Religious Workers Visa

If you are a foreign citizen who wishes to enter the US temporarily in order to work as a minister, rabbi or another religious occupation or vocation you may apply for the R-1 visa. The R-1 visa requires that you work as a religious employee at least part time, for an average of 20 hours per week, for a non-profit religious organization in the US or for a religious organization that is authorized by a group of tax exemption or a non-profit affiliated with a religious entity in the US.

The T, Victims of Human Trafficking Visa

If you are a victim human trafficking you may be able to remain in the US by obtaining a T visa. A T visa can be issued for up to 4 years, if you have assisted law enforcement in the prosecution of human trafficking.

For further information, to inquire whether you are eligible to apply for any of the above described specialty visas, and to obtain a free consultation with an attorney specialized in US immigration law, call us today at 1-888-603-3003.